Ruffin Associates, Inc. (RAI) and the Roanoke-Chowan Community College entered into a cooperative agreement in 1997 for the production and maintenance of the Northeastern North Carolina Internet Initiative. The initial phases of this project were funded by the W.K. Kellogg Foundation of Battle Creek, MI.
The Kellogg Foundation was established in 1930 to "help people help themselves through the practical application of knowledge and resources to improve their quality of life and that of future generations". To achieve the greatest impact, the Foundation targets its grants toward specific focal points. These include: health; food systems; rural development; youth and education, higher education; and philanthropy and volunteerism. When woven throughout these areas, funding is provided for leadership; information systems / technology; efforts to capitalize on diversity; and family, neighborhood, and community development programming. Grants are concentrated in the United States, Latin America, the Caribbean and southern Africa.
Creek Boat by 'Hubby' Bliven
The objectives of the Northeastern North Carolina Internet Initiative are as follows:
- Establish a presence on the internet for Northeastern North Carolina
- Develop the internet site to project the area as a vacation, sports, retirement and prospective business destination.
- Create a vehicle which introduces area businesses to internet concepts and electronic commerce.
- Include internet linkages to key North Carolina State agencies, where applicable ... creating a close tie between Northeastern North Carolina activities and events with those available throughout the State.
- Build a clearly defined Northeastern North Carolina internet identity easily found by the internet visitor.
- Provide a vehicle to show off the historical, cultural and eco-tourism advantages and attractions of Northeastern North Carolina.
- Underwrite the core costs for businesses which are a part of the Regional Small Business Incubator program to have an internet presentation.
- Design and implement mechanisms for internet visitors to request information from and communicate with interested Northeastern North Carolina organizations and businesses.
Our Sister Site
The Northeastern North Carolina Internet Initiative is, in part, patterned after the North Carolina's Outer Banks Internet Initiative (http://www.outer-banks.com) which has been produced and maintained by RAI since 1994. Maintaining an association (as a "sister site") with The North Carolina's Outer Banks Internet Initiative (NCOB) is important. NCOB acts as an "internet gateway" for the Northeastern North Carolina Internet Initiative (NENC) providing linkages and exposure that, perhaps, NENC may not be able to initially achieve on its own.
The Northeastern North Carolina Internet Initiative is about making friends.
For information on Corporate Sponsorship of The Northeastern North Carolina Internet Initiative e-mail us at: firstname.lastname@example.org